Today was my first attempt at making homemade bread. It is a fairly simple process and the bread cones tuned out yum! The main reason for baking bread at home was to consume a more nutritious version of the same and hopefully it’s cheaper than buying bread. So I decided to bake a mixed version of wholewheat flour and all-purpose flour. This way the bread is fresher and can be kept for 3-4 days. I made bread cones, but the same dough can be used to make a loaf or a bun.
For making the cones molds you can twist foil into a cone shape and roll the bread dough around it.Before using them for baking just grease them with oil or butter. The mentioned quantity makes 6-7 rolls.
Whole wheat flour 1.5 cups
All purpose flour 1 cup
Salt 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Olive Oil 2 tbsp
Instant yeast 3/4 tbsp
Warm water 1 cup
Parmesan 2 tbsp (to sprinke)
Sesame Seeds for garnish
- In a food processor, combine warm water, yeast, flour, salt, sugar and olive oil – make the dough. Once a soft consistency is achieved, remove from the machine utensil and place it in a bowl.
- Knead the dough a few times by hand (add flour if needed) till the dough is nice and soft. The more you knead the softer the bread.
- Preheat oven to 400°F, while the oven is getting warm make the bread rolls.
- For the rolls, make small dough balls and roll each ball of dough into a rope. (see image below)
- Now, roll the dough rope around the greased cone mold. Shape the others also in the same way. Once done place them onto the greased baking tray – cover and set them aside for 12-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, sprinkle Parmesan and sesame seeds over each piece. Place the tray in the pre- heated oven for around 20 minutes.
- Once the bread is golden-brown remove from the oven let it cool a bit then remove from the cones.
- You can even fill the cones with your favourite filling – cheese, minced chicken, mashed-grilled potatoes or anything you like!