First of all, Happy Holi to everyone- hope everyone had a great time! This Holi I tried an easy to make Gujiya recipe. Honestly didn’t find all the ingredients typically used for making the Gujiya filling, so I replaced the filling with ingredients I had. It turned out to be delicious and less oily therefore less calories!! The below quantity is for 6 Gujiya pieces.
Almonds 7-8 sliced and roasted
Cashew Nuts 7-8 Slices
Saunf 1/2 tsp
All purpose flour or Maida 1 cup
Olive oil 4 tbs (some to add to the dough mixture, rest to fry)
Milkmade Condensed Milk 2 tbs
- In a bowl knead a dough mixing maida and olive oil, set aside(preferably covered)
- In a pan mix together almonds, raisins, cashew nuts, saunf, and milkmade, heat til 5-8 minutes
- Let the mixture become a a bit thick and the condensed milk well transfused with the other ingredients, let it cool a bit
- Meanwhile, make balls of the dough and roll out into 2 inch rounds(a bit thick) place a small quantity of filling over one half, fold the other half over it
- Press the edges together and seal ends firmly so that the filling doesn’t come out from the edges
- You can also cut the edge with a fancy cutter or the edges of a peeler. Make other gujiya in a similar manner
- In a pan heat the Olive oil, once the oil is hot, deep-fry the Gujiyas
- Once they are golden brown from both sides place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil
I did not add Sugar syrup to the Gujiyas to avoid calories. You can add the Syrup.
To make Sugar Syrup you need Sugar 1 cup, water 11/2 cup. in a pan heat water and add Sugar, keep stirring till it’s of a thick syrup consistency.
Simply dip the Gujiyas and take them out and store in your container.
Store in air-tight container, Gujiya can stay for 2 weeks.
Enjoy and let me know your experience 🙂