Wholewheat products like chapati and homemade breads are a great source of fibre, magnesium and manganese. Manganese helps your body absorb calcium, regulates blood sugar and builds a better immune function in carbohydrate metabolism.
Nothing is better than making your bread at home as it helps you consume non-bleached and less processed food. The recipe I am sharing is a relatively quicker one and if you plan ahead you can easily enjoy it for breakfast! or snacks!
So, I mostly prepare and bake bread in the evening-before sleeping, but that’s just a personal preference. It’s a great way for consuming a fresh loaf next morning!
The one thing you should be extremely careful when cooking breads is water temperate, if it’s too hot or too cold it spoils the fermentation. Fermentation is an important process for bread making even beer brewing 😉 – when the yeast any form you use for baking (active dry or instant or any other) transforms carbohydrates to carbon dioxide making the dough rise and helping your bread become bigger and fluffier. Since yeast gobble sugar and release CO2, that is why maple syrup or honey or simply sugar is added to luke warm water. The reason one should not use extremely hot water for preparing the bread dough is that the hot water kills the yeast.
Luke warm water 1 cup (temperature around 110°F)
Whole wheat flour 1.5 cups
Salt 1/2 tsp
Honey 1.5 tbsp
Gluten-free Instant dry yeast 1 packet
Olive Oil 1 tsp (for greasing)
• In a deep bowl, mix luke warm water and honey
• Add the instant dry yeast and gradually add wholewheat flour, salt and make a smooth dough. (add a bit of luke warm water if needed).Knead well
• Make sure the dough is not too sticky
• Grease another bowl place the dough cover it with cling foil or cloth and leave it at room temperature for fermentation for 2 hours,then refrigerate the dough for 2 hours or more if you have time
• Once the bread has risen, grease your baking dish and knead the dough a bit and give the dough whatever shape you like before placing it into the oven. Let it rest for 30 minutes
• Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F and place the baking dish in the middle rack and let it bake for 30-35 minutes
• Check oven after 20-25 minutes, once the bread becomes golden-brown after 30 minutes or so remove from oven
Let it cool properly, once it’s cooled down slice your bread loaf and enjoy!
See more bread recipes here.