Have you ever served yourself everything on the table and still felt something is missing, something extra that would just complete the main meal. Like when you go to KFC or McDonald’s you just love to add fries and coke or veggies with the burger, having just the burger isn’t enough.
I often need something extra with my helping of dal-rice or bread. So I decided took make something this week that could last for a longer time. Something I can store and can just add to my plate every time I have my meal – an ADD ON!!
The two Add Ons I made are Mint Coriander Dip & Pickled Onions – good for health and completes my meal!
Mint Coriander Dip
Mint finely chopped 7-8 leaves
Coriander finely chopped 4-5 leaves
Greek Yogurt or any Thick Yogurt 1 cup Garlic grated 1 clove
Salt a pinch
Pepper 1/2 teaspoon
Italian seasoning (optional) 1/4 teaspoon
- Finely chop mint and coriander leaves, the other option is to blend mint coriander leaves along with garlic in a food processor to make a paste. (Although I prefer the finely chopped version.)
- Add grated ginger if making it without the food processor.
- In a bowl, mix Yogurt, the paste or the chopped leaves and grated garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning (optional)
- Mix all these ingredients well and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- It can stay for 5-6 days
Tip: It is important to make sure that the Yogurt is thick and doesn’t have water. If using a home-made yogurt, it is best to drain out the water using a muslin cloth or a sieve with a closer mesh
Onion rings 1 onion
Distilled White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 cup
Salt a pinch
Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Slice the onion into thin rings
- Wash and clean rings with luke warm water
- In a container or a glass jar, the that will be used for storage, add vinegar, salt and sugar and stir well
- Add onion rings to the container or jar and store
- The onions will be ready in a few hours (4-5 hours)
- Store in the refrigerator, they stay for more than two weeks
Suggest what other Add-Ons can be made? Pickles is one – I shall share my mom’s recipe soon! She makes lovely pickles!